Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day 2009 ~ Bagram Air Base

There are pieces of my father, my grandfather, his father, and so on -- in me.  Not only physical characteristics, but habits, ways of thought, principles, teachings, beliefs, morals, and so on are carried in me from generations past.  How fortunate to be in this moment of time, to consider such a priceless investment that ultimately has culminated in me.  I am fortunate to have my own father still with me today - although 7,000 miles away - we remain connected.  

Through 55 years, my Dad has always been there.  To right me when I was wrong, to lead me when I needed leading, and sometimes giving me the latitude to decide things on my own while sitting back and watching me mature.  I think I matured a lot slower than he would have liked, (and he might say I am not there yet even today), but I have to say, that my Dad did a pretty darn good job balancing between me and my four brothers.  We all needed different strengths and characters built in many different ways.  We all have our head on our shoulders and are leading productive lives. You Dad, have done your duty in passing down all those good qualities of our forefathers, you have taught us the value of hard work, faithfulness, and morally walking in life.  What better father could I ask for?  You have taken us to faraway places, have sacrificed a comfortable life to serve those in need.  You have lived with principle and determination and that has helped us be positive in life no matter the dire situations that sometimes around us.

My only hope Dad, is that I can pass along to my sons, all you have passed to me.  Thanks for being the Dad you are, have always been, and will always be!

Love,  Scott 

No comments:

Post a Comment