Saturday, July 4, 2009

Leadership 101

Today was an "off day."  It does not have a lot of meaning in a combat zone.  But in this garrison called Bagram, there sure are a lot of folks strolling about.  I could do for some strolling...but not too far out.

So I was called this morning due to one of our drivers driving through an overhead fiber optic communications line.  I kept waiting for some organization to scream "no comms!!!" to find out who the line belonged to, but my guys worked a deal with the line owner for a small fee that I will receive later.  The cost of not paying attention to detail...(Later, I get the excuse that the line was too low...)

Then, as I drove on the flightline, there is another bonehead sight.  One of our compactor rollers sitting on a flatbed and not tied down.  "Where is the operator?" I yell, "I want to see him!"  As he turns the corner of the truck, he sees me and I could tell he knew I knew.  He immediately began getting the chains out to secure the equipment on the flatbed.  No words had to be exchanged.  Sometimes what you don't say has more meaning than what you do say...

Now, for a little over 30 days now, we have been placing concrete pavement on Taxiway Juliet. Although we are over 50% complete, there have been difficulties with the mix, the placement technique, the finish, the wind, and a host of other variables.  Every night we assess what can be done differently and we surmise that it is a slightly higher water content.  And then tonight, the brass comes out, and ooos and ahhhs over the finished product.  All their concerns are alleviated.

I see my two associates - local Afghans - who were arrested a few nights prior.  I bring them tea and crackers.  In my small way I try to make up for the stupidity of overeager troops who see every local as an enemy insurgent.  It is my mission now.  These men are the salt of the earth, one is a Turkman, the other Pashtun.  I can feel their warmth more than any other person out there at the site.  I admire the way they are and the manner in which they greet me.  That is one of the best things about this job - meeting simple folks like that.  Simple men, but full of wisdom.

Bagram
03 JUL 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment